The nomination phase for the 1st Virchow Prize for Global Health starts on April 1, 2022 and ends on June 30, 2022.
In subsequent years, the nomination phase for the annual Virchow Prize for Global Health begins on February 1 of each year. The deadline for submissions is on April 30 at 24:00 hrs.
Qualified nominators are invited to make their submissions to the Virchow Foundation for Global Health within the specified timeframe.
Candidates can be individuals, organisations or institutions. While every candidate nominated by the qualified nominators is eligible for the Virchow Prize for Global Health, self-nominations will not be considered.
Nominations for the Virchow Prize for Global Health are considered valid if submitted by a person falling under one of the following categories:
- Members of national assemblies, national governments and supranational parliaments as well as current heads of sovereign states which have signed the Charter of the United Nations
- Secretary-Generals, Director-Generals and Executive Directors of United Nations organisations and institutions as well as of other intergovernmental organisations and assemblies
- Presidents, rectors and directors of the M8 Alliance Academic Health Centres, Universities and National Academies
- Members of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina and the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
- University chancellors, rectors and university directors (or their equivalents); directors of global health research institutes, peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes
- Persons who have been awarded the Virchow Prize for Global Health
- Members of the main board of directors or its equivalent of organisations that have been awarded the Virchow Prize for Global Health
- Laureates of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Nobel Peace Prize and Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences
- Laureates of the Lasker Prize, the Robert Koch Prize, the Emil von Behring Prize and the Paul Ehrlich and Ludwig Darmstaedter Prize
- Current and former members of the Virchow Prize Committee
- Former advisers of the Virchow Prize Committee
- Citizens who otherwise appear to the Virchow Prize Committee to be suitable to be approached
- Self-nominations are not considered